Transfer to ASL
ASL is now accepting applications for transfer. The school may accept transfer students from ABA-approved or state-approved law schools in accordance with ABA Standard 506 upon demonstration that the student would have qualified for entrance into ASL as a first-year student and the student is in good standing at the prior law school.
Transfer applicants must complete/submit the following:
- An online application
- A $60 application fee if you apply after January 14, 2013 - After January 14, 2013, you may pay the fee with a credit card when you apply online. ASL also accepts personal check or postal money order mailed to Admissions, Appalachian School of Law, 1169 Edgewater Drive, Grundy, VA 24614.
- Two letters of recommendation - These letters should be sent directly to the Credential Assembly Service via LSAC.
- A personal statement of 500 words or less describing your professional goals and qualifications - Include in this statement your reasons for pursuing a transfer and any factors that led up to your decision
- A current LSDAS report (the admissions office will request your report; make sure that a copy is available for download)
- A letter of good standing and official transcript from the prior law school
- Other, optional considerations include an applicant's graduate work, character, work history, professional promise, personal commitment, recommendations, life experience, and other non-academic achievements. We are happy to discuss our admissions process and criteria with potential applicants at any time.
If you have any questions, you can e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
After you have received an admissions offer, ASL's Associate Dean of Academic Affairs will evaluate your transfer credits.