EMILY A. SMITH
123 Walnut St. Grundy, Va. 24614
Appalachian School of Law Grundy, Va.
Candidate for Juris Doctor expected May 2011
- Remote Area Medical clinic volunteer
- Moot Court team member
- Environmental Law Society member
East Tennessee State University Johnson City, Tenn.
Bachelor of Arts in Political Science May 2007
- Debate Team secretary, 2006-2007
- Dean's list, four semesters
- Big Donor Scholarship recipient, 2006
- Resident Assistant, 2005-2007
Miller, Miller, and Schiller Kingsport, Tenn.
Summer Intern May - August 2008
- Wrote motions, legal memoranda, and client letters
- Proofread documents for attorneys; filed paperwork at courthouse
- Observed settlement negotiations and trials
Tennessee Watershed Protection Society Bristol, Tenn.
Research Assistant January 2006 - May 2007
- Tested rivers and streams for pollutants
- Compiled testing data; wrote reports to present to state legislators
- Helped conduct environmental workshops for area schoolchildren
Target Corp. Bristol, Va.
Sales clerk March 2005 - December 2005
- Rang up customers' purchases, responded to price-check inquiries; restocked shelves, updated inventory system
- Lexis-Nexis, Westlaw certified
- Fluent in Spanish
53 Slate Creek Rd., Grundy Va. 24614 (school)
112 Main St., Lexington, Ky. 40502 (permanent)
The Appalachian School of Law, Grundy, Va.
Juris Doctor expected May 2012; Class rank 5 of 92
- Volunteer Income Tax Assistant
- Court-Appointed Special Advocate (in training)
Transylvania University, Lexington, Ky.
Bachelor's of Science, Biology and pre-law, June 2008
- Graduated cum laude with a 3.6 overall GPA
- Arts & Sciences Association
- Environmental Law Society
The Hon. Richard Pritchard, Lexington Municipal Tax Court
Intern, May-August, 2009
Helped research tax code to respond to public questions; observed court proceedings; drafted, proofread court opinions
Office of U.S. Rep. Ben Chandler, Lexington, Ky.
Congressional Intern, January-June, 2008
Responded to constituents' letters on numerous public-policy issues; researched background on policy issues to prepare congressman for speeches, interviews; processed requests for tours of congressman's Washington, D.C. office
Professor Ted Thomas, Transylvania University, Lexington, Ky.
Research assistant, September-December, 2007
Helped conduct study on frogs' ability to withstand water pollution; learned proper methods of statistical analysis to analyze, compile data
Lexington Parks and Recreation Department, Lexington, Ky.
Junior Landscaper, May-August, 2006
Joined crew that maintained public parks; mowed lawns, weeded flower beds, picked up litter