ASL Students to Assist with Free Tax Prep Service
Grundy, VA (February 6, 2018) – Area residents who need assistance in preparing their 2017 taxes may find the help they need in February and March during free tax preparation services offered at the Appalachian School of Law.
ASL students will be among the IRS-certified volunteers assisting other volunteers with People Inc. at the free tax prep service events. Individuals or families who earned less than $54,000 in 2017 may qualify for the free service.
Volunteers will be on hand at the Booth Center, Room 233 on the campus of ASL, February 5 through March 30 on Mondays and Wednesdays from 9 a.m. to noon; Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2 to 4 p.m.; and on Fridays from 1 to 3 p.m. Walk-ins are welcome, but appointments are also being accepted and may be made by calling 276-244-1228.
Information to bring includes the following:
• Photo I.D. — If married and filing jointly, both spouses must be present with a photo I.D.;
• Voided check for direct deposit;
• Social security cards or taxpayer identification numbers (ITIN);
• All income statements (W-2, W2-P, W-2G, 1099, etc. for the taxpayer and all dependents);
• Expense documents, including those for dependent care, college tuition, student loan statements, home mortgage interest, property tax statements, alimony paid or received, etc.;
• Total paid to daycare provider and the provider’s tax I.D. number;
• Proof of health insurance – an insurance card, Medicare or Medicaid card, 1095-A, 1095-B or 1095-C; and
• Copy of last year’s tax return.
An option to file your own taxes for free may be found at https://turbotax.intuit.com/taxfreedom/?vitasiteid=S28098130.
For more information on the free tax preparation service, interested persons may contact People Inc. at 276-619-2235.
February 6, 2018
Media Contact: Cathy St. Clair – 276.202.0383 or email@example.com