Many states are using at least one of the multistate exams from the National Conference of Bar Examiners. That organization offers the following exams:
|Test||Prior Exams Available|
|Multistate Bar Exam||MBE (or purchase)|
|Multistate Essay Exam||MEE (or purchase)|
|Multistate Performance Test||MPT (or purchase)|
|Multistate Professional Responsibility Exam||MPRE (or purchase)|
|Uniform Bar Examination
contains MBE, MEE, and MPT (see links above)
Upcoming Bar Examination Weeks:
|Year||Bar Exam Held|
|Winter 2018||February 26-March 2|
|Summer 2018||July 23-27|
|Winter 2019||February 25-March 1|
|Summer 2019||July 29-August 2|
|Winter 2020||February 24-28|
|Summer 2020||July 27-31|
In addition to a bar examination, there are character, fitness, and other qualifications for admission to the bar in every U.S. jurisdiction. Applicants are encouraged to determine the requirements for any jurisdiction in which they intend to seek admission by contacting the jurisdiction. Addresses for all relevant agencies are available through the National Conference of Bar Examiners. A summary of some of these qualifications may be found in “The Comprehensive Guide to Bar Admission Requirements“, a free online book. Other information may be available at the American Bar Association’s Section of Legal Education and Admissions to the Bar “Bar Admissions” page.
Study Materials in the ASL Library
Check our online catalog for recent additions.
- Bar Admission Requirements
- Prior Bar Exams
- Compilation of Bar Examination Questions and Answers from the Institute for Bar Review Study (2000-2014)
- Kentucky Bar Examinations – essay questions only (February and July exams, 1997-present, on Reserve)
- Multistate Bar Exam (MBE) – several books on Reserve, including Multistate Bar Examination Questions, Sample MBE, Sample MBE II, and Sample MBE III
- Multistate Essay Examination (MEE) – MEE Questions and Analyses (on Reserve)
- Multistate Performance Test (MPT) – questions and “point sheets” (1997-present, on Reserve)
- Multistate Professional Responsibility Examination (MPRE) – MPRE Sample Questions VI (on Reserve)
- North Carolina Bar Examinations – essay questions only (February and July exams, 1998-2009, on Reserve)
- Tennessee Bar Examinations – essay questions only (February and July exams, 1998-present, on Reserve)
- Virginia Bar Examinations – essay questions only (February and July exams, 1996-present, on Reserve)
- Study Guides
- 100 Rules to Know for Passing the Bar Exam by Steven Friedland. Reserve KF 303 .F754 2006.
- The Bar Exam in a Nutshell by Suzanne Darrow-Kleinhaus. Reserve KF 303 .D372 2009.
- Bar Prep Workbook by Steven Friedland. Reserve KF 303 .F7545 2010.
- Conquering the Bar Exam edited by Evangeline M. Mitchell. Reserve KF 303 .C66 2007.
- Essential Rules for Bar Exam Success by Steven Friedland with Jeffrey Scott Shapiro. Reserve KF 303 .F75 2008.
- If I Don’t Pass The Bar I’ll Die by Rosemary La Puma. Reserve KF 302 .L3 2008.
- MBE: Beginning Your Campaign To Pass The Bar Exam by Keith Elkin. Reserve KF 303 .E45 2011.
- Pass the Bar by Denise Riebe and Michael Hunter Schwartz. Reserve KF 303 .R54 2006.
- Scoring High on Bar Exam Essays by Mary Campbell Gallagher. Reserve KF 303 .G353 2006. (The four-CD set is also available at the Reserve Desk.)
- Strategies & Tactics for the MBE: Multistate Bar Exam by Kimm Walton and Steven Emanuel. Reserve KF 303 .W35 2010.
- Take the Bar and Beat Me by Raymond Woodcock. Main KF 283 .W66 1991.
- You Can Pass Any Bar Exam: A Step-By-Step Guide to Success by Edna Wells Handy. Reserve KF 303 .H36 1997.
- The Zen of Passing the Bar Exam by Chad Noreuil. Main KF 303 .N674 2011.
- For other titles, ask at the Reference Desk.
Commercial Bar Exam Review Courses
Please note: ASL does not endorse any particular bar review course. You are responsible for paying all fees incurred by participating in any of these courses (private loans may be available; the Financial Aid Office keeps a listing of lenders). This listing is not comprehensive.
- Bar Outlines
- Bar Prep Hero
- Kaplan Bar Review
- Reed Bar Review
- Themis Bar Review